*Note– all Products listed are intended for LEGAL gardening uses
Thrips are small, fast-moving insects and can come in many forms, from pale wormy looking things to dark winged insects, depending on the stage of life and where you live.
They pierce leaves with their mouths and suck out all the good stuff, leaving shiny (sometimes people thing it looks slimy), silver or bronze spots wherever the leaves were bitten. The spots are bigger and more irregularly shaped than the bites left from spider mites. If it goes on too long the affected leaves may start dying.
Proven Thrip Remedies
- Azamax is a time-tested way to rid your grow room of thrips. Spray plants 15 minutes before lights out, making sure to drench the foliage under the leaves as well as the top of your soil. You may want to use a spray bottle or mister. Use a fan to blow on your leaves to help things dry. Treat your room more than once, even if you believe the thrips are gone. You can also add small amounts of Azamax when watering your plants, as it will not hurt your roots but will thrips in the soil.
- Mighty Wash – use in a similar way to Azamax. You may want to use a spray bottle or mister.
- Spinosad Products (safe & organic) – Spinosad products are organic and unlike many other spider mite pesticides,completely harmless to pets, children, and plants. Unlike many insecticides, you can spray spinosad heavily on leaves and roots with basically no negative effects. Spinosad products can be used directly to kill thrips on contact, but can also be used when watering plants to systematically kill spider mites via the roots. Spinosad can also be effective at fighting caterpillars, thrips, and many other pests.
- Srills 420 Pest Bully – completely harmless to pets, children, and plants (works GREAT as a preventative, I recommend getting this and spraying your plant once a week even if you don’t have an infestation)
- Nuke em‘- This product will kill on contact, and is organic- pests can’t become immune, because it melts their exoskeleton.